booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century  - Rachel  Harris I was excited to read My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century for several months before its release, so when I received an E-ARC, I dove excitedly into the pages and discovered a thoroughly enjoyable, light-hearted story. Combining familiar elements of using time travel to teach the main character - a delightfully realistic girl - life lessons, even though some parts of Rachel Harris's debut novel are familiar to me, that doesn't mean that I loved the story being told any less. Between the setting, which teemed with atmospheric details, and the larger-than-life characters, Super Sweet is a sweet, coming-of-age story.

There was just something undeniably charismatic about Cat Crawford,and I liked her immediately. She has a strong voice as a narrator, so consequently, was right there with her as she stepped out of a gypsy's tent and into Renaissance Italy and into an adventure she'd never expected. Cat carries the story well, because Rachel Harris imbues her with both a sense of wonder at what's happening around her, as well as a sense of independence that marks her as unique in her surroundings. I felt for Cat and also cheered her on, whether it was her exploring the city, meeting historical figures, or fighting and finally giving in to her attraction for handsome Lorenzo. He was a fantastic love interest - there was so much more to him than met the eye, and even though Cat didn't get to spend a great deal of time with him, the attraction between them definitely felt very genuine.

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century is a lovely story, filled with moments of tenderness and humor as Cat navigates her way through her ancestor's Italy. What easily could have been a run-of-the-mill time travel tale instead took on a life of its own, largely thanks to Harris's flowing writing style, as well as the other secondary characters, like Alessandra, and Cat's "aunt" and "uncle." I read this book eagerly and am definitely very much looking forward to the sequel, A Tale of Two Centuries!