booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer Tragically, Stephenie Meyer's conclusion to her wildly popular Twilight saga failed to provide a satisfying - or even realistic - ending to the story of Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. Readers who were previously drawn to the idyllic, fairy-tale romance the two characters shared in Twilight will see more of the same - and sadly, little else in a novel that promises so much, and actually delivers very little.

Let's be honest: even though the odds were definitively against them, I still went into this book hoping and praying that somehow, some way, Bella would choose Jacob. It's obvious he is the healthier choice for her, but our Bella has always thought - wrongly - that she knows what is best for her. It's one of the likable characters' most maddening traits - that and all that potential, wasted book after book by the author's inability to write a strong female character, much less a strong female lead.

So, I suffered through Breaking Dawn, all the while hoping, with crossed fingers, for a miracle - one that never came. Jacob Black's portion of the story offered some relief. His section was filled with the werewolf's point of view on life, his struggles with his pack leader, and his attempts to balance his love for Bella with his desire to be there for her. The glimpses we saw of their former friendship were heart-warming; however, the events following Bella's unwise pregnancy were not. IMHO, the book took a downward turn near the end of Jacob's portion and never recovered.

This book held very little surprises, and if anything, read as though the author had penned the novel under the guise of trying to please everyone. What little action the reader is led to believe will happen is quickly snuffed out, and unfortunately, the saccharine ending was all too predictable.

And yes, I am a broken-hearted Jacob/Bella shipper - this far after the fact. (It should be noted that I was an Edward/Bella shipper up until New Moon, at which point the reader was actually, finally, presented with a choice: another romantic opportunity for Bella! For the first time, we weren't being told who to ship! And for me, it quickly became clear that Jacob was the better choice. He truly was the air and the sun, while Edward's love was dangerous at best, oppressive at worst.)

However, that does not change my opinion on this mediocre novel. Instead of capitalizing on the wonder of the first novel, the angst of the second, or even the intensity of the third, Meyer buckled under the pressure, and chose to take the safe route instead of one that might have ruffled the feathers of loyal Edward/Bella fans.