booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Rebel Angels - Libba Bray The second novel in Libba Brays Gemma Doyle trilogy re-introduces us to familiar faces Gemma, Ann, and Felicity as well as the supporting cast including their classmates and teachers at Spence Academy, and their often outlandish family members. Gemma is having a little trouble adhering to the times - you see, instead of easily fitting in to the laid-out mold of proper young lady, she spends her days in the magical Realms, fighting to gain control of the magics she inadvertently set loose in the first book, A Great and Terrible Beauty.

Throughout Rebel Angels, Gemma's spirit and intelligence carry her through one trial after another. Paired with the normal growing pains and her attraction to two boys - the Gypsy Kartik and the handsome noble Simon - as well as the secrets and fears of her friends, and the task of finding the mysterious Temple, the place of power in the Realms, Gemma bears all of this better than most would.

Filled with enough intrigue and intensity that and reader will find themselves reading as quickly as they can, the book is also something more: it is intelligent. It is brave, and scary. And it is hopeful.

And its heroine is one to be admired.