booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, Book 5) - Richelle Mead I am torn, when it comes to this book. I started it, and a few pages in, wondered if I even wanted to keep reading. I just wasn't feeling it. But I pressed on, and quickly found myself eager to read just another page, or another chapter.

My final impressions are that overall, this story was solid. I am not cool with some of the developments. In the next, and final installment, I really hope that Rose will come to see that she is not who and what Adrian needs. He loves her a great deal - that much is clear - and yet, he deserves someone who can give him her whole heart. And right now, that isn't Rose. And I don't think it will ever be.

For me, the most poignant aspect of this book were Rose and Dimitri's scenes. I've seen a lot of people unsatisfied with his actions in this novel, or even saying it was out of character, or that he doesn't know what he wants. I interpreted his words and actions as that of a man still so in love with Rose that he is falling back on the only way he knows to protect her from, in his mind, him causing her any more harm - keeping her away from him. This kind of flawed reasoning rarely leads to a happy ending - if anything, both parties involved usually end up unhappy. But I can see why he is acting the way he is.

Also reading this, I realized it is always going to be Rose/Dimitri for me. I have loved their bond from the beginning, and as horrifying as it was to see him as Strigoi, I have to say, I think the most heart-felt aspect of this series - for me - was his anguish and his guilt over the things he did to harm others. Dimitri's redemption will be something to behold, and I eagerly await Last Sacrifice