booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Destroy Me - Tahereh Mafi Truth: I love villains; the ones I really love aren't the "let-me-show-you-how-evil-I-am" Big Bads though, but rather the quietly hate-able ones who, even as they're plotting your demise, still show a sliver of humanity, making you want to redeem them. And that is exactly what happened when I read Shatter Me - I met Warner, and lost my heart to him. So when I heard about Unravel Me, I was all fluttery and excited, but worried: would a novella from Warner's point of view change my mind about him? And it did, but in the best way: I now firmly adore this broken man.

With Destroy Me, we see inside Warner's thoughts and motivations, and I have to say, so much about him became clear: why he makes the choices he makes, and why he is the way he is. A lot of fans of this series seemed to worry that Tahereh would try to make him too sympathetic, but I feel that she straddled the line between hinting that he can be redeemed, and still making me rage-y over his actions at times. To say that Warner is a complex guy is an understatement; Warner is layered, and definitely a swoon-worthy alpha male, but also very damaged, and misunderstood.

I am even more excited now for Unravel Me, to see what happens next to these amazing characters. Destroy Me gives us just enough of a peek into Warner's plans to make me nervous, yet also hopeful. I lost my heart to Warner, while aching to see more of Juliette and Adam. And while Adam is probably better for Juliette, I have to say, for the first time, I see the possibilities of Warner/Juliette, which breaks my heart in so many ways.

In short: pick up this book if you're, like me, anxiously awaiting Unravel Me. It's short, and it's NOT expensive, so you don't have to feel guilty about splurging. It's still told in Tahereh's magical writing style, and I promise you're going to want Destroy Me in your collection!