booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Something like Normal - Trish Doller Determined to read more from my books-I-own shelf this year instead of just review books for my blog, I picked up SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL a few hours ago, and read it in one sitting - no breaks, other than to wipe away tears.

Trish Doller has written a powerful book, with an honest, messed up protagonist. Travis isn't a hero, but he isn't NOT a hero, either. He isn't perfect, but he isn't a jerk - at least not totally. He's just a guy. He's a guy who went to the other side of the world to escape his dad's disapproval, and came back pieced together all wrong. He's trying to find himself, and just be okay, and find "a new normal."

SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL made me laugh, cringe, and cry. I wanted to hug Travis, and I wanted to applaud Harper for punching him. I wanted to tell Travis that somehow, it would be okay. I loved that SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL wasn't one of those books where the couple fixes each other, and that Harper accepted that Travis WASN'T okay. I wanted to be Harper's BFF.

Trish Doller's book made me FEEL, and it's not every day that a book makes me do that. I'll be re-reading this book at some point, and watching for Trish's next book. Please consider reading SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL!