booksandwhimsy

Books and Whimsy

Simply Irresistible - Jill Shalvis After reading a particularly feels-heavy review book, I needed something entirely different; one of my resolutions this year was to read more of *my* books from my personal To Be Read - books not for review. I've done okay with it, but not as good as I wanted to so far in 2013. So recently I took a break from review books and spent the weekend reading Simply Irresistible. And I really enjoyed it!

After reading predominantly YA for so long, it was really NICE to read an adult contemporary romance. In Simply Irresistible, there was there was no love triangle, and no insta-love, and I felt like I could BREATHE reading Shalvis's book. It was such a relief to not have to pick a team! Instead of multiple guys, there was one (very sexy) guy in Jax Cullen.

I really liked Jill Shalvis's characters - everyone felt like real people I've known or could know, from tentative Maddie, to strong Tara, and wild Chloe. I cheered so much for the sisters as they made progress with the ramshackle inn, and with their relationship. I loved that even though they hadn't always been close, for all their bickering, they WANTED to be tight. I wasn't expecting the family dynamic, and I really liked that.

And romance? Jill Shalvis knows how to do romance. Maddie and Jax were SWOONY! I liked that even from the start, although they were attracted to each other, there was that hint of it being MORE. They both needed each other, and they grew together, which just made me so darned happy. It wasn't just about sex between them, though their chemistry was undeniable.

My only gripe is that at times Shalvis was somewhat redundant - telling the reader the same things over and over again about characters. I would have liked a bit more variety at those times, but still, it didn't keep me from enjoying Simply Irresistible. Also, I didn't feel any emotional connection to the characters, but then again, I wasn't looking for one, so I didn't mind.

Final Thought: Jill Shalvis knows how to write a great romance. Full of steamy moments, family banter, and humor, Simply Irresistible was great. I'll definitely continue t